Thursday 5 May 2016

Thomas Ligotti's works in Poland - better late than never



In 2012-2014 I was invited to participate in the endeavor of introducing the works of Thomas Ligotti to the readers in Poland. I initially teamed up with Mateusz Kopacz, the Polish translator of many titles related to weird fiction, including S. T. Joshi’s H. P. Lovecraft: A Life, Koszmary i fantazje. Listy i eseje (a collection of letters and essays by H.P. Lovecraft) and Cthulhu-Mythos-themed collection by Robert E. Howard, Królestwo cieni i inne opowiadania z mitologii Cthulhu.
After having two of Ligotti's stories successfully translated and published, Mateusz joined forces with 3 other Ligottians, including Wojciech Gunia, Filip Skutela, Aleksander Więckowski, who have been working on the translations of Teatro Grottesco for some time. This collaboration resulted in the Polish edition of the author’s major collection published by Okultura.

Here is a short description of the contents of the book in English. Apart from the introduction by Wojciech Gunia and me, the book contains a new foreword by the author, so far only published in Polish, cover art by Serhiy Krykun and interior illustrations by Radosław Włodarski.
The publication is a real labour of love where each of the parties involved made their best to deliver a real polished gem.
During my involvement in the project, I had the honour of carrying out an interview with Thomas Ligotti, which was first published in a translation by Mateusz himself, in Coś na Progu magazine (issues 4-5) and that was later reprinted in Born to Fear: Interviews with Thomas Ligotti edited by Matt Cardin. 
Since I needed to limit my involvement in the project shortly before the publication of Teatro Grottesco (an absence that would last for almost two years due to other pending projects), I never had the chance to actually celebrate these publications. But it's better late than never. Now that I finally have time for this blog, I’d like to use the opportunity and thank everybody involved for cooperation. Considering the rave reviews the Polish edition of Teatro Grottesco gets, there is no reason to doubt it was worth the effort. 
I would also like to thank Matt Cardin for preparing the online version of my interview with Thomas Ligotti. Last but not least, I would like to express my gratitude to Thomas Ligotti himself for all the time he devoted to answer  all of our questions related to these publications.

No comments :

Post a Comment